Get Driving Directions
Interesting Facts about Charleston, SC
- Charleston boasts the first public college, museum and playhouse in the United States.
- George Gershwin composed his well known opera Porgy and Bess while living on Folly Beach, South Carolina. Porgy and Bess are buried in the James Island Presbyterian Church graveyard.
- The first game of golf played in the United States took place in Charleston, South Carolina.
- North America's longest cable-stayed bridge spans the Charleston Harbor. The Arthur J. Ravenel Jr. Bridge connects historic Charleston and Mount Pleasant, South Carolina.
- The first shot to be fired in the Civil War was fired by Citadel Cadets stationed on Morris Island